Medicinal drugs are a great discovery as they dismiss our body from discomfort and can even get our lives out of danger. Sometimes we are out of our prescription and are in desperate need of pain relief. Doctors recommend over-the-counter medications then. But these over-counter medications have many side effects. Many people are hesitant to take these medications themselves or give them to their children due to the fear of side effects.
Therefore, here are some natural options for pain relief. These natural remedies will provide you with comfort with being cheap and easily accessible. Let us get started!
This beautiful yellow-colored spice is a famous one in South Asian countries. People use it for numerous reasons: beauty, cooking, and as a pain reliever.
Turmeric has curcumin properties that heal burned, irritated, infected and bruised areas of the body. Some people prefer it over medicines to relieve themselves of pain since turmeric is a trusted spice by many.
Ways to Use Turmeric for Pain Relief:
- For turmeric milk, put a teaspoon of turmeric in a warm cup of milk. You can also add in sugar if you want to satisfy your sweet tooth. Top off your drink with crushed dry fruits.
- Add pieces of ginger in boiling water. Boil the water for 2-5 minutes. Pour the ginger water into the cup and add some turmeric powder. You can add honey for taste. Your ginger-turmeric tea is ready!
- To reduce swelling and muscle ache, mix turmeric and water or milk until it is a paste. Wash it off after the application of 10 to 15 minutes.
Lavender oil is a widely used alternative for pain killers. It is popularly used for headaches as it calms nerves and aids depression. Lavender oil also promotes a healthy sleeping pattern, fights anxiety, treats eczema and inflammation on the skin.
Ways to Use Lavender for Pain Relief:
- Lavender oil is the most popular option used by people to ease their pains. Apply lavender oil on the area of your concern and massage it for 4-6 minutes.
- Boil some fresh lavender in water for 3 to 5 minutes to make lavender lemonade. Remove the water from the heat and set it aside to cool. Pour your lavender water into your lemonade after it has cooled.
- You can also use a lavender spritzer. Not only does it get rid of your headaches, but also your whole house smells elegant and beautiful.
- Isn’t taking a bath after a long day of hard work so relaxing? Lavender bath is even better. Not only are you so relaxed and free of pain, but have a scent like lavenders. Add some lavender essential oil in milk or bath salt. You can even mix these three. Add your mixture to your bath full of water.
Clove, a strongly scented flower bud, is small in size. However, its benefits are not. Many people are unaware of its notable advantages. They think that they only act as added magic to food.
Cloves contain tons of antioxidants and have anesthetic properties. It eases pain in the gums and teeth, relieves inflammation, and helps reduce swelling.
Ways to Use Cloves for Pain Relief:
- Massage the targeted area with clove oil to numb away your muscles or gums. Put a small amount of clove oil and rub it with a cotton pad.
- Chewing cloves can ease your pain. However, make sure not to swallow the cloves as they may cause harm to your digestive system.
- Want to make clove tea? Add a few cloves into some water and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. For a calming effect, introduce a touch of cinnamon, bits of sliced oranges, and sometimes peppermint. You can also add some milk, cream and sprinkle cocoa powder on it if you are looking for a warm cup of drink to make your wintry day a bit special!
4. Capsicum Chilli
When you think of red hot peppers, you can not think of calming and peaceful sensations. Eating chili isn’t associated with sweet moments. Digesting a chili pepper feels hot. It feels like your tongue is burning. But surprisingly, this fire starter is great to ease pains. Capsicum that is present in chilies works wonders for those suffering from pain. It works just as well as over-counter medications. Expectedly, it does have a bit of a burning sensation to it. However, it is still worthy since it’s a fast working natural treatment.
There are over-the-counter capsicum creams for inflammation and joint pain as well. However, making it at home will assure you that it is natural and might be a cheap alternative.
Ways to Use Chili for Pain Relief:
- To make chili cream, add 2-3 tablespoons of cayenne powder into 1 cup of oil of your choice coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, or any other oil you have on stock may be used. Make sure to cook the cayenne powder and oil for 5 to 10 minutes until mixed. Then proceed to add ½ or 2 cups of beeswax and make sure to mix them well. Chill the product until it completely cools down. When cool, give your mixture a few whisks and put the products back in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Your cream is ready!
- Mix a few drops of capsicum chili with essential oil and apply.
5. Heat Therapy:
Heat therapy is great if your body seems to be losing elasticity or muscle strain. Heat regulates blood flow and softens the stiffness in our body. Heat therapy is a quick fix to chronic back pains, menstrual pain, body pain, swollen muscles, and headaches.
Ways to Use Heat Therapy for Pain Relief:
- Give yourself a long hot shower or a hot water bath to relax.
- Fill a water bottle or a plastic water pad halfway with hot water. Apply light pressure to the stressed areas before the water cools down. If you’re still having problems, go through the process three times again.
- You can also invest in an electric heat pad.
6. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is widely famous for having numerous advantages. It is a trusted plant for many when it comes to improving their beauty. Alongside helping you shine your outer appearance, it also helps to improve your pain. Aloe vera gel is easily accessible in the marketplace with a budget. However, it is more advised to plant yourself. Aloe gel contains vitamins, tannins, flavonoids, cyclooxygenase, and carotenoids. These properties ease swelling, stiffness, and sore muscles.
Ways to use aloe vera as a pain relief:
- Slice open an aloe vera plant leaf and scoop out the natural gel. Pour some gel and apply it on your skin gently, message, and leave it on.
- Use aloe vera creams from the market.
There are several natural ways to alleviate pain. Resort to these natural pain solutions for an effective treatment. These all are easy to implement and accessible. However, make sure to get medical help if your pain feels intense or chronic. Use these natural pain relief solutions as a first-aid responder. It is essential to know first-aid for emergencies and usual occurrences as well.
Do have a look at our natural ways to treat cough as well.