Preparing for doomsday might sound intimidating for some people, but being prepared before SHTF is actually a great idea. It’s not that you are expecting a calamity or an emergency to happen. It’s just simply making sure that you know what to do, and you have all the right things needed if ever one occurs.
Well, no one can really be prepared for everything at all times. But having the items you need to survive ready is part of being prepared. You simply need to find the things that can help you immediately escape and survive, and at the same time, help you sustain. If you want to become prepared before doomsday, or calamities like typhoons, earthquakes, tornados, and more, then you’ve come to the right place. Today, we are giving you the most important emergency tools to have before SHTF.
Water Storage Tools
A gallon of water a day is recommended for every person. Therefore, you need to keep a regular supply of clean water at all times. However, that can be difficult when you’re either on the run or when the regular water sources are cut off. What you can do instead is to store at least a full day’s water requirement and supplies for the next day.
Here are some of the tools that might help in storing water and getting it treated as well:
- CamelBak Rogue Hydration Pack: This hydration pack can help in storing water even when you’re on the run.
- Empty Plastic Jugs: Having at least two or more empty jugs can come in handy for storing untreated water.
- Chlorine Tablets: You can use some chlorine tablets to clean the water for bathing purposes.
- Plastic Gallon Zip Lock Bags: You can use some gallon zip lock bags to store clean water, such as the water you will be using for cooking.
- Water Purification Tablets: If you are getting some water to drink from natural water sources like rivers and streams, you can use some water purification tablets to kill the microorganisms present in the water. This will help prevent water-borne diseases.
Aside from water, foods are also important during emergency situations. You need to see to it that even when there’s a power outage, you will be able to cook and prepare foods. Having a handy cookware kit is ideal when it comes to survival. This way, you will be able to have tools for cooking anywhere you go. You just need a butane stove, and you’re good to go.
If you have a portable charcoal grill at home, that can also help you cook food without electricity. You just need an abundant supply of charcoal, and you’ll be able to cook whatever food you want. A firestarter might also come in handy when using a charcoal grill or when cooking over a wood-burning stove.
First Aid Kit
A first aid kit is one of the most important tools to have before SHTF. Well, it is important to have at all times, even when you’re just out for a hike. In a survival situation, a first aid kit can play two important roles. It can be used for immediate treatment and for sustained treatment. Here are some of the essential items you can include in your first aid kit.
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Gauze and wraps
- Suture kit
- Pain relievers
- Antibiotic ointment
- Baking soda: This is known to be an efficient cleaner for wounds. It can also be used as toothpaste and deodorant.
Navigation tools are also essential when SHTF. Two of the most important navigation tools you must have for survival are a compass and a map. Aside from providing you the right direction, these can also help you plan for elevation and estimate possible water sources in your location. You can find waterproof or laminated maps that are very helpful during survival situations. For a compass, you can opt for a lensatic compass, which is very affordable. If possible, you can also get a compass and protractor that may help you in planning your route.
Aside from those, you should not forget to bring flashlights as well. A flashlight will help you navigate at night, and will provide you light in case there’s a power outage.
It is also essential to prepare a shelter in case SHTF, and your house is destroyed. Or if ever you need to relocate somewhere safer. These tools will ensure you and your belongings’ safety no matter what the weather or climate is. Here are some of the helpful shelter tools you can have.
- Rain Poncho: A rain poncho is probably the cheapest and easiest way to keep you and yourself safe and dry from the rain.
- Sleeping Bag: A sleeping bag can help you retain body heat and sleep comfortably, especially during the cold season.
- Survival Tent: Having a survival tent that can accommodate at least two people is also great. Choose a tent that is well-insulated and weatherproof for comfort and safety.
Personal Defense Tools
Some of the personal defense tools that most of us know are rifles and heavy firearms. However, these things can be challenging to manage in an SHTF scenario. Unless you are within fortified areas. But if you want to be highly mobile during emergency situations, you need personal defense tools that are lightweight and collapsible. Those which are perfect for a hunting game. You can opt for a 9mm handgun or a .22LR lightweight hunting rifle.
Aside from guns, utility knives are also helpful and can save a life. Choose a utility knife that is equipped with a pair of pliers and different types of screwdrivers. You can also opt for a good combat knife and pistol.
With all the tools you need, you will also need reliable storage for all of them. Yes, you can carry a lot of things in your pockets, but you still need a backpack or a daypack to be able to bring everything you need to survive. When choosing a bag, you need to pick a lightweight one. As a rule of thumb, you cannot carry more than half your bodyweight supplies for long-distance. For example, if you weigh 170 lbs., it means that you cannot carry more than 85 lbs. of maximum backpack weight.
Here are some of the best storage tools you can prepare before SHTF.
- 55 to 65L Backpack: This kind of backpack can help you carry all the things you need to survive comfortably, even when you’re on the run.
- Waterproof bag: A waterproof bag will also come in handy when SHTF. You can use it to keep your valuable things like gadgets and money to prevent them from getting wet and damaged.
These are some of the most important tools that you should have before SHTF. There are still lots of helpful things you can bring during emergency situations, but these tools are one of the most useful ones that you should not forget to prepare.