It’s hard to believe, but there’s an overwhelming majority of the people using glasses and contact lenses in the USA. A recent survey showed that an estimate of 65% + of adults are using some type of visual corrective device and the number continues to rise.
Have you ever considered yourself in a situation where you accidentally lose your contacts/glasses without even having any backup? What if you confront with a natural disaster and your glasses break or are lost at that particular moment? Being prepared visually is important if you rely on corrective glasses or contacts.
In this article, we will guide you through to deal with the complications, challenging situations and the precautions which are important to know for the people using contacts or glasses.
Starting with the Contact lenses, generally, people wear them to correct their eyesight as they are basically a replacement or alternatives to glasses. They can help to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, as well as astigmatism and also a very good substitute for the people who don’t want to or unable to undergo any LASIK laser surgery.
There are certain measures which you need to take care of if you have any vision disability and you ever find yourself in an unfavorable situation while wearing contacts or glasses. In a worst-case scenario, if you ever confront a natural disaster such as power breakdown, tornados, wildfires, urban violence or whatever situation you may confront:
Always Have Some Spare Contacts
Depending upon the type of the disaster, there are a different set of lenses that are available which can aid you in various circumstances. In a disastrous situation where there is no source of power or running water, searching and wearing them can be a huge struggle. It is recommended that you go for extended wear lenses as they can even be worn while sleeping. If you are looking for contact lenses to aid your vision, check https://www.contactlenses.co.uk.
Relying entirely on contacts can be a risky thing especially during disasters because even high-quality contacts can cause infection in the eyes when combined with airborne bacteria. However, if you are going to rely on contacts, you need to have contact lens cases and bottles of saline solution available.
Following are the precautions you need to consider in order to protect yourself from allergic infections invoked by disasters like dust storms, fires, etc.:
- You must ensure that your home is dust-free
- Make sure that you don’t go out and stay in your home as much as possible in order to prevent yourself from being vulnerable to dust and other chemicals depending on the emergency
- If you wear contact lenses and suffering from an eye infection, it is preferable to wear glasses as it will reduce your annoyance
- Never touch or rub your eyes even if they are prickling
- Always carry a hand sanitizer with you so you can wash your hands with it on the go in order to apply eye drops or wash them. it can also be used if there is no clean water is available to clean hands
Safety Tips for Contact Lens Users
It is not recommended to use contact lenses in a disaster type scenario or situation where your eyes can be hurt due to noxious chemicals or elements. Contact lenses are not designed to be used for long-term and they can tear or pop out and don’t work well in a dusty environment.
It is quite possible that you will not have any access to clean water in a disaster situation so changing contact lenses when normal hygiene methods are limited, can cause severe eye infections. Eye infections can cause you to slow down and will hinder your attempts to survive, so it is always better to wear glasses as an alternative as they provide an extra shield of protection to your eyes.
However, if you still plan to use contact lenses then it is recommended that you pack spare lenses in your survival kit. You should also carry a hand sanitizer and contact lenses cleaning solution.
Preparedness for People with Glasses
People who prefer glasses over contacts also need to take some measures in order to protect themselves from any undesirable situations, such as:
- Always keep an extra pair of glasses at your home, in your car, and your bug out bag
- Prefer value over fashion, go for solid and well-built frames that will take you through difficult conditions and will hold up even if they are bent or dropped
- Have a couple pairs of reading/sunglasses as well
- Carry a hard case for your glasses to put them when not in use to protect them from falling and bending
- Don’t forget to have a backup of transition lenses for glasses and cleaning cloths
- You should have an eyeglass repair kit to fix your frames and glasses on your own
- Your glasses might fall off and break on running, so your best bet here would be to have a strap that can go behind your head and hold them in place in a challenging situation.
- Following are the suggestions for some products that you should have nearby in order to keep yourself well prepared for any unwilling situation.
1. Face shield
It is used along with glasses or goggles, providing protection from chemical hazards, spraying etc. They are used when there is a need for going out in the dust storm or other challenging conditions.
- It is extremely lightweight and you will have no problems breathing when wearing it
- People who are bald can wear this on their head in order to stop the sweat coming into their eyes
- Complaints of design getting fade after some time
Bluepond sunglasses can be used by both men and women. These anti-fog polarized safety glasses provide supreme eye protection. It is designed to have a more realistic outdoor experience, along with reducing and defusing the effect of harmful light. These can be used in injurious environmental conditions, glares, and to provide protection from harmful UV rays.
These eye protection sunglasses are only recommended for the people who wear contact lenses as they cannot be worn over prescription glasses.
- Extremely effective in reducing eye strain while driving at night as it protects you from cars with bright LED’s and high beams
- It comes with a mini screwdriver of good quality for little adjustments
- Sharp and clear lenses make everything look better
- The frames are extremely flexible and lightweight
- It comes with multiple accessories
- Product description and title say that it is polarized, but they are not
- Small lens
If you wear prescription glasses or contact lenses then this safety goggles will help you a lot in protecting and resisting your precious eyes from any damage that can be caused by airborne debris, dust, and harmful chemicals.
You can keep these safety goggles in your emergency kit and wear them right over your normal glasses for enhanced protection.
- Tough hard-coated lens
- Anti-fog layer
- Comfortable to wear
- Adjustable according to the size of the head
- Ventilation channels to breathe with ease
- Provides great resistance against impacts
- Users stated issues about the lenses getting scratched easily
Protecting your eyes during a disaster situation can be quiet challenging especially if you wear prescription glasses. To decrease the risk, you can invest in safety glasses that can be worn over your prescription glasses. These safety glasses can fit glasses that are 5.7inch wide, up to 1.37inch high on the sides, and 1.77inch high in the center.
You can wear these safety glasses during a sandstorm without disturbing your vision and getting dust in your eyes as these will cover your glasses and eyes fully. These are OSHA-approved and have ANSI and CSA safety certifications that ensure your prescription glasses remain safe even if safety glasses are impacted.
This is a great tip that many people do not know. You can actually use optical swim goggles to protect your eyes in case of a disaster situation. No matter if you are farsighted or a nearsighted, you can get these goggles according to your eyesight strength. These goggles have a pair of anti-fog lens that provides UV protection.
If a sandstorm occurs, you can wear these goggles to keep your eyes protected without blurring your vision.
- PVC and latex free
- Lenses have an anti-fog coating and provide UV protection
- Available in different strengths
- Can provide great visibility in foggy or rainy weather
- Users stated about its anti-fog coating getting removed/dull after some use
These polarized performance goggles are made from 100% silicone with a Polarized Coating. These goggles are made using the highest quality materials. They are tested to give you the edge in all your activities.
- Fully adjustable
- Anti-fog coating
- Used by professionals and recreational users
- Comfortable fit
- Easy to adjust
- Wide peripheral range
- The goggles can fill with water in rain
It is better to be prepared well beforehand, so you can deal with challenging situations without having any problems. This potent formula of vision support supplement consists of a combination of bilberry and grape seed that together help reduce inflammation, soothe lens damage, and improve night vision.
Use these capsules on daily basis to improve your vision so you can easily navigate through everything without facing any vision problems.
- Help soothe dry eyes
- Users stated that consuming 2 capsules a day sharpened their vision
- Made of healthy ingredients
- Great for elderly people
- Won’t show instant results, you have to take them regularly to see a healthy output
Thanks to this day and age where there are various alternatives and substitutes available to aid visually impaired people so that they can tackle challenging situations. The crux of the above article is that you should be well-prepared in every situation by keeping appropriate products with you all the time. The above-mentioned items can help you in multiple scenarios and will always keep you ready to face any threatening event.